PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 17:26
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think this is perfectly appropriate as I think the function of auto-throttle will be a major, if not THE major contributing factor in this accident.
Maybe..I think on current "evidence" crew performance will be at the top of the list (no surprise there) but.....

Once upon a time when I was converting to the 777 a wise trainer said to me " great aircraft, but because of the full time auto-throttle you really have to work at keeping the speed from your scan and watch out for the FLCH trap"....

Now he was aware of the FLCH trap, many people in this place knew of the FLCH trap (and can quote FCOM 2 chapter and verse) ..it was a "known, known", a bit like the AF pitot probes in icing.... Now that to me begs at least two questions:

1. Is the FLCH "trap" or the autothrottle "going to sleep" somehow an unavoidable characteristic of the autothrottle logic or, if it isn't

2. Shouldn't err, somebody, have had another look at the software and:or hardware?

Just asking?? Opinions, info? Please don't shoot the questioner.

Last edited by wiggy; 10th Jul 2013 at 18:03. Reason: Sorry, I meant quote.....not cope..