PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 17:23
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhilipG,

I felt I could help out here a little.

The F-35B's hardware and software is designed and built to allow the aircraft to execute a wide range of manoeuvres in 'up and away' flight, pure powered lift and also in the 'transitional flight' regimes, both accelerating and decelerating. It's a basic part of the challenge of building a powered lift aircraft, and one which the F-35 team, especially BAE Systems, understand well. They have been working these issues since 2003, and have made a lot of progress.

SRVLs are basically just another point in the F-35B flight envelope. The USMC already call for a short landing to a 1200 foot strip as well as pure VLs, and the B also has to be able to carry out normal landings without use of powered lift.

You are absolutely right that 'automation' of any flight manoeuvre could cause issues. However, doing an SRVL at around 40 kts speed relative to the deck is a whole lot less demanding than trying to catch a wire at 145 kts relative.

I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that an SRVL is an achievable and sensible thing for a powered lift aircraft to do to a flight deck - it's exploiting the platforms' ability to use both wing and jet lift as most suitable to land on in a small area at the weights desired. Really, it's no drama. Honestly.

Best Regards as ever

Engines