PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 17:11
driftdown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@TheDaddy

FWIW I was not successful in my career change plans and so after accumulating 1300 Total hours / 300 M/E PIC I gave up and concentrated on financial recovery. 3 interviews in 4 years, oh I was 40 years old when finishing training / hour building.

Yeah I know, obviously a failure, not made of the right stuff whatever that is anyways the point of this is I had 3 years of great experiences seeing things from the air that others would never see, popping into ATL in a Seminole sequenced among 75's and 73's. I hung on to the "experiences" as a useful place to justify the 100K spent (costs plus loss of earnings).

I am lucky. I have made a fairly strong financial recovery just not "there" yet. Every day I look at my wife who kept it all together, mortgage stress, downright bad attitude and thank my lucky stars because the home reality right now could be so much worse.

So what is the point of this?

I have had some great experiences so why bang on... The reason is that at a rather later stage of my working career I find myself having to now suck up life in another sandpit country. It has some "good" points, hell I am still earning a salary but that 100K would now have allowed me to say thanks but no thanks. Roll back time, with that old benefit of hindsight then would I have started training, no way!!!.

Just saying......