PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:34
Aileron Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MD80

Well, I'm certainly pleased that you're no customer of mine. Back seat pilots with no stomach for flying - I do not need.

Truly, you are speaking from utter ignorance. If you were as bright as you think you are you would know that humans become tired, and when they become tired they progressively require help to accomplish a complex task. Eventually, they become incapable of completing that task, but happily the law limits a pilot's hours so that the ultimate limit is not reached.

You say, "Those landing aids are there not to make your job easier, but to facilitate operations in adverse conditions." No, they're also there to make the approach easier, so that you have extra capacity to handle other matters simultaneously, or to enable you to do more work - more sectors, more hours. In Britain, Douglas Bader wrote a report allocating 'points' to different routes and airports. An available ILS carried very few points, whilst a field with no aids carried lots of points. The airline could roster pilots up to a certain number of 'points' per month. So you did more work if you went to 'easier' airfields.

I don't know what level of 'performance' is required from you in your job if you are tired, but after 39 years of flying aeroplanes, chum, I don't need lectures from passengers.