PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:32
ThePassenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The hot-shots posting here about flying with 'stick, rudder, and eyeball' can opt for the visual. Me, at the end of a 14 hour day? I'll take the ILS, please."

I, as a fare paying passenger, will take the hot-shots then. Not a pilot here but can't really understand why your 14-hour day, (10 days a month perhaps?) filled with exciting AP monitoring and if-you're-lucky 10 minutes of actual flying time, can leave you a ragged wreck unable to safely perform the most basic of flight maneuvers in a modern FBW flight deck?
Now I'm not here to pick a fight, but honestly, that's a pretty ignorant approach imho.

I'm not a busy long haul traveller, I do only about 4-6 crossing the atlantic each year, still after each time getting back to Europe, I'm dead for at least 4 days, completely smashed. So I can't even imagine how the guys riding me back and forth are having it with a body clock on constant move....

Even if we of course should expect the driver to be able to maneuver the vehicle manually, ILS and other aids can't be a bad thing when needed!

I feel for all those on 214 at SFO, and I sincerely hope that whatever problem caused this crash-landing, lessons will be learned and precautions taken for future safer journeys for all of us sitting there in the back trying to get our body clocks tick straight enough to be able to work efficiently when we get to destination and back...