PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 14:04
Aileron Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
md80fanatic

I, as a fare paying passenger, will take the hot-shots then. Not a pilot here but can't really understand why your 14-hour day, (10 days a month perhaps?) filled with exciting AP monitoring and if-you're-lucky 10 minutes of actual flying time, can leave you a ragged wreck unable to safely perform the most basic of flight maneuvers in a modern FBW flight deck?
You are showing your ignorance, and should not comment on matters you know nothing about.

We all like to think we are 'hot-shots', and as a Training Captain I prided myself on my hand-flying ability. Every chance I got, whilst on shorthaul, I hand-flew. We all did. We were rested, and had been in bed at the right time - when it's dark.

When I moved to long-haul, the training philosophy was very different, because Chuck Yeager himself would make mistakes if he's been up for twenty hours.

You are one of those people who think we sit, bored, watching the autopilot fly us to our destination. You have no idea what goes on, on the flight-deck. There are a hundred and one things to do, monitor, and think about. Not forgetting the comfort of you lot - down the back.

And that approach was not "the most basic of maneuvers", even for a rested pilot. Any visual approach requires great concentration and judgement, and is arguably the most difficult of all approaches.

As for the ten days per month - God's teeth, I wish I'd worked for that airline. I only ever recovered from jet-lag in week two of my annual leave.

Dream on, buddy, and keep thinking the pilots are wide awake and nothing can go wrong go wronggowronggo.............