PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:51
3rd Floor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Floor
Is that how you fly an ILS?

If you maintain constant airspeed, your power will be what varies your glide path.
Granted, each time you adjust power you'll tend to adjust pitch to stay on speed.
Correction, counter correction.
It was my impression that the aim is to fly the final stretch of an approach at a chosen approach speed. (in the case under consideration, 137 kts).
If you mess about with using your pitch to find the aim point, you'll change your speed, won't you?

So I have to ask: do you fly with one hand or two?

Why my approach to this "scares you" mystifies me. The principles in question have been successfully putting high performance jets on carrier decks for about sixty years. They work.

They also work very well for flying an ILS or a GCA to touchdown in crap weather.

I do understand that you can lead with your nose and catch up with power. So long as one works power and attitude together, one should get to where one is aiming to land. See Squawk7700's post for a better way of putting that.
What scares me is what's being taught. I was referring to visual approaches in my original post.

You state... "If you mess about with using your pitch to find the aim point, you'll change your speed, won't you?"

Of course, however if you keep your aim point constant in the windscreen and have the correct power setting everything will be stable. What's more important? Landing on your aim point or undershooting/overshooting while maintaining the correct speed?

Of course I fly an approach with one hand on the yoke (Boeing) and the other hand on the thrust levers.

Your final statement is correct. Both work together but the basics are...
Attitude for aim point
Power for speed

Happy landings