PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sharky Watch LIVE
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:43
PhilipG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Spaz,

Thank you for bringing this to the Forum's attention, the point that I was trying to make back as you point out on page 6 was that it in my view is difficult to design software to achieve something that has not really been tried in real life.

As you quoted SRVL trials are going to commence in 2018, I am not sure what software release the trials plane(s) will have, implicitly the software base for the proper IOC planes will have to be the next release, so that the lessons of the trials can be incorporated into the mainstream F35B software suite, I forget what the software update cycle is, no doubt you have it at your fingertips. I did always understand that all the software on the planes had to be written by LM, so a UK built SRVL patch is in my understanding an impossibility.

As far as I know, I of course stand to be corrected, the UK is the only customer that is looking at the moment at implementing SRVL, a rather a different form of landing on a carrier than hopefully catching a wire when guided down under software control in an F35C. The basic dynamics of carrier landings are, except for hooks etc, well understood and documented, so lend themselves to semi automation, when the dynamics of the landing are not fully understood over the required envelope, automation of the process of SRVL could well create issues.