PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 13:25
Aileron Drag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737OPR

You have so hit the nail on the head. Flying manually in the sim was a breeze, because you were wide awake and living on adrenaline. But for a major airport to offer only a visual approach to a dog-tired crew is dreadful. If the G/S has to be off, do it on one runway at a time, and give crews an option of doing a full ILS. The hot-shots posting here about flying with 'stick, rudder, and eyeball' can opt for the visual. Me, at the end of a 14 hour day? I'll take the ILS, please.

Regarding the PH being a bit overwhelmed by the 777, you have reminded me of my very first 777 landing. We had a 'zero hour' sim, so base-training was not needed. How the hell they got that authority is beyond me, because the flare in the sim bore no relation to the real aircraft. I made a horrible mess of that first landing, and aged the trainer in the RHS by about ten years.

Also, coming from an 'older' aircraft, the view was all wrong, since the 777 has a very low approach attitude. I feel so sorry for this guy. At least, for my own first go, I had an ILS.