PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander Spry
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 09:21
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
TFF:-
Please don't denigrate the hard work of the many well meaning people in the MAA and the single services doing safety today because of actions and decisions made by others many. many years ago.
I don't denigrate anyone doing their best to do safety, on the contrary I can only encourage them to go on doing so to their absolute utmost endeavour. It is the MAA that I denigrate, for the simple reason that it is based on a lie and continues to perpetuate that lie. The lie is the Haddon Cave report, that the MAA was established as a consequence of.
The report claims that before the sequence of events that led to the tragic loss of XV230 there had been a "Golden Age of Airworthiness". If only! XV230 was merely a link in a chain that extended back to that "Golden Age" when the subversion of Flight Safety by RAF Air Officers really began. That was in 1987. By turning its back on its own (the MOD's) history, the MAA is doomed to have it repeated. Nothing has changed, that same chain of possible subversion and consequence still exists.
Unless and until the RAF faces up to and accepts that chain, the actions of its own Air Officers, and the continued cover up of their actions, then the chain will stay in place, threatening efforts to:
support the future generation in staying safe
Once that bullet is bitten then the way of breaking that chain is to make the MAA and, just as importantly the MAAIB, civilian led and independent of the MOD and of each other.
Given my take on the situation I hope you will not think me rude when I say that I find your suggestion that:
the MoD should be congratulated on its efforts
risible.
The reason that what I quote is from the past is that is what history is made of. What is happening today will be tomorrow's history. Let us all "put our necks on the line" for real, and ensure that those who sit in judgement on our efforts in the future will approve of them and say that this was indeed the very beginning of a "Golden Age of Airworthiness".