PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Discrimination
Thread: Discrimination
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2003, 06:03
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

IHL is right on the button. Discrimination is part of human nature.

As a long term expat, I have learned to live with discriminatory practices that aren't tolerated in UK; I hardly notice them now, they aren't really important. In many places it is taken for granted that foreigners may not own real estate. There's compulsory HIV testing for foreigners - with instant deportation if the test is positive. There's racial stereotyping - all westerners are drunkards, western women are sluts and so on. In India I was grabbed by the shirt and pulled backwards and forwards during a heated argument between airport security and airline officials. They didn't like me going through to the airline office even though I was crew, in uniform and wearing a security badge. In India, white guys don't operate domestic, so I wasn't supposed to go airside at the domestic terminal. That's life. If you leave the comfort of home you have to be able to tolerate discrimination. There's no point in complaining, its just a part of human nature to distrust those who are different from ourselves in some way.

You can't change it, so you learn to live with it.

Through difficulties to the cinema