PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 08:41
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The triple is, absolutely, automation done almost 100% correct. It is the easiest airliner to fly, by far, and the most intuitive for pilots coming from something other than an airbus.

The stuff up a visual approach, in visual conditions, is appalling, but I am only surprised it has taken this long. Many carriers around the world are using FOQA data recorders for punishment of their pilots. The result is the CP's and pilots are reluctant to hand fly, or turn the auto-throttles off, ever. While this may reduce the number of exceedences on a daily basis, it destroys pilot proficiency.

I flew as an airbus captain for 2 asian carriers. The 320 has an AP limit of 100 after takeoff. Both airlines I flew for,almost every single pilot I flew with turned the AP on at 100.1 feet, and turned it off at the last moment legal by SOP and FCOM on landing. Autothrust was used exclusively. I can't tell you how many landings they stuffed up in perfect weather. I probably did 15 go arounds in 4 years because my flying partner could not safely land in VMC conditions. Double that number for stuffed up approaches.

If you don't maintain your flying skills, you lose them. It is especially bad on long haul flying as you don't get many landings and takeoffs anyway.

Asiana, Air France, and the last couple of regional crashes in the US were all due to the inability to BASICALLY FLY AN AIRCRAFT.