PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 08:37
HundredPercentPlease

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
Nitpicker/Flap 5,

Not looking to apportion blame (clearly) but just looking to understand how someone could get into this position.

A visual approach from a slightly high position in a 320 is flown:
  • A/P off, F/D off (bird on), levers in one position.

He was flying A/P off, F/D off, levers in one position.

In the 320 you would monitor airspeed carefully, to ensure IAS was above target - just to ensure idle thrust. Regain the profile at just above 500 (as they did) and then, in a 320:
  • The thrust levers don't move
  • Speed is looked after for you
  • You have full flight envelope protection

What I am suggesting is that it is possible, at this point, to become complacent with speed. I am not saying it is right, I am saying that it is a possible failing of modern pilots. Because the machine always works, it will work today.

So for the PF, it may have been easy to revert to 320 operating mode. His levers haven't moved (as expected), he has regained the profile at 500 thus avoiding a G/A due unstable and now he just has to guide the A/C to the touchdown markings.

Now, at around 300' it has all gone wrong. For the PF:
  • His right hand is indicating situation normal (for him, in 320-reverted mode) but,
  • He will be confused about the sagging flight path and increasing pitch.
It is at this point that it seems odd that despite the clues, none of them looked and responded to the speed issue. I have slight sympathy with the 320 captain as PF - because I can understand how he might have found himself there. I am not suggesting that he was devoid of fault, far from it, but I can understand the path. What I cannot understand is the LTC. For me, he is where the focus should be.

The CVR recording from below 600' may well provide the biggest clues, and may provide the key to ensuring this doesn't happen again.

Furthermore, some nasty A/T failures in the sim for pilots working on highly reliable, highly automated a/c may be worthwhile too. An unannunciated thrust lock at 400' with the thrust set slightly too low in a 320.... I would bet that that would catch out a good 5% of pilots, even western ones.