PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 07:13
HPSOV L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. If autothrottle remains at idle instead of maintaining command speed when intercepting glidepath from above at a relatively low altitude you probably won't notice the rapid speed decay in time and will crash. Not you? Don't be so sure buddy. It happens real fast and recovery may not be possible. This is a pretty good reason not to disconnect the a/t.

2. Absolute nonsense about Korean pilots not speaking up. Maybe true 20 years ago but not today. No more than any other nationality anyway.

3. The 'FLCH trap' is not mentioned anywhere in any Boeing Manual. In 8000 hours of flying the 777, never in any sim in two major airlines has any instructor, Alteon, Boeing or company mentioned or demonstrated it to me. The best you could say is perhaps it could be inferred by what is not stated.

4. It is SOP in my last two airlines for the PM's Flight Director switch to be turned back on after turning off both Flight Directors for a visual approach (assuming they do not provide useful guidance).

5. On the 777 it is recommended autothrottle always used on approach unlike other types. That is SOP regardless of differing opinions and yes, it does eventually result in loss of that 'muscle memory'. Thats the way it is these days, thats how airliners are designed and its just reality.

6. At the end of the day a very experienced crew crashed an aircraft they were concentrating on flying. Sure they weren't quite stabilised blah blah but there's more to it. If there is a latent trap in the autoflight system I want to know about it so it doesn't bite me in the arse on that one time when I'm not quite on top of my game.

Last edited by HPSOV L; 10th Jul 2013 at 07:26. Reason: brevity