PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2013, 01:12
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Lone wolf 50
I was taught that you use power to stay on (or addjust to) glide slope, pitch to stay on (or adkust for) airspeed when making an approach to land. (Of course, the two work together to give you the performance you are trying to achieve. )

I was also taught that if you are low/slow on approach to landing, pulling the nose up "to get to the runway" makes your problems worse if that is all you do.
Must be a navy pilot? I have never really come to grips with why navy guys used the secondary effects of controls to land.

Fly it like the autopilot flies an ILS. You get low on slope, you pull the nose up. Primary effect of controls. If you then get slow or know form experience that you will get slow, put the power up. As you say, pitch and power work together, but the initial reaction is to stay on-slope with the stick, then compensate (if necessary) with the power. Stick for glideslope results in much more accuracy, as well as revealing, much quicker, windshear. If you "fell into a hole" and simply pushed the power up, especially with not much deck angle, all you'd to is go faster.

This is particularly appropriate with autothrottles; all you need to do is stay on glide/visual slope with the stick and the autothrottles will automatically adjust/power-up to maintain the speed.

Confucius say (for the left-hand seater):

"Always remember and forever take heed, left hand for glidepath and right hand for speed!"

As for that Tiptoe visual approach posted by JPJP:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1307/00...TOE_VIS28L.PDF

That would some thought to put in the box, especially if not given until later in the descent or not familiar with it. 1900ft at 5nm to touch, just because of Class B airspace? Get real you lot.