PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bases no longer an option.
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 20:11
sodapop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me hope Johanna...

Just because I'm bored, I'll throw this into the discussion.

Seniority for airline pilots has had it's day in the sun. Starting in the Earnest K. Gann era of line numbers until present day. It's played it's role, now it's time to go global.

Seniority in any "profession" was limited to airline pilots. Doctors, surgeons, lawyers (start the jokes), and engineers never had such a beast. They gladly worked their way up in the hospital, in the firm, in the company and could move across to a higher, better-paid position if they held the correct qualities. Ever hear of a head surgeon leaving to become the first officer surgeon in another hospital?

Pilots held on to seniority to the point of breaking up companies (TWA, Eastern...). Seniority was vital for remuneration, yes, but also bid lines, number of holidays and sick days etc. It was created under regulation when you prayed to get hired by a major and stay there the rest of your career. When deregulation hit (not a good day imho), the work world started to change. When global airlines (emirates, korean, nca, cpa, asl--ooops) started to broaden their workforce base, it suddenly became possible to jumpship and choose from a buffet of T&Cs deciding which might fit your lifestyle or pocketbook the best.

I maintain that if we, as global pilot community, abolished seniority, our T&Cs would rise within a couple of years. We could head over to the sandbox for a few years, see what's around the corner and head over to someplace else. It might even be fun.

Or stick around and enjoy the added perks.

Seniority doesn't provide you a promotion, it gives you the shot at obtaining one. You still need to walk the walk. And why would I (or a Paris-based FCN) want to move to the right seat if I changed companies? Therefore, why would I change companies?

So, the with the golden handcuffs firmly in place, I stick it out eternally hoping for the pay rise, better rostering practices, fluffier duvets and I whing at the gay bar and on the flight deck until I'm suddenly 62 and 1/2. No thanks.

Of course, I don't agree with the all euphorian stuff I just wrote, but grasping the seniority tree in hopes its growth will pull you up is foolish as well.

Have fun with this one!

Standby for discussion topic #2--why moved FCNs should stay in the seat they earned and garner full expat benefits as their time in service dictates. Topic #3 may be why anyone taking an airbus command whilst others ahead of them on the SENIORITY list wait for a triple are equally leaping ahead of seniority just as anyone who joined as a DEFO jumped the SENIORITY list ahead of any SO who joined prior.

Last edited by sodapop; 10th Jul 2013 at 05:50. Reason: typo