PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wizzair
Thread: Wizzair
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 12:50
DublinPole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst the charges and landing fees need to be taken into account, there is more to it than that when it comes to costs, as you need to take into account ground handling, which is more expensive in Warsaw since passengers are normally taken on buses the last time I was there on W6, whereas in WMI passengers will walk to the gates.

Also with WMI being much smaller, it's often more efficient and quicker to turn things around, which FR for example really like, since there is less chance of congestion than in WAW which at the moment has the old terminal closed for renovations which means everyone is checking in and going through security in the same area which caused huge queues and delays a few weeks back, although of course had they known that WMI was closing they'd probably have delayed that work.

I wouldn't say that WMI being further out will effect Ryanair as much as you'd think. If W6 moved back it would effect them more than FR. Why you ask? Simply because FR doesn't have a base in Warsaw, which means there are no early morning flights from WMI or very late flights arriving into WMI. With W6 running everything off Warsaw based crews, they have flights leaving between 5am and 6am in the morning and some returning post midnight. That's okay in WAW for W6, but is going to be a problem in WMI if they go back.

I think Wizz have their strategy right now though, by starting to focus more on routes to parts of Europe that Ryanair is not well known in or serves. With FR not seeing any more planes for a year, W6 should try and build up share in these areas.

Last edited by DublinPole; 9th Jul 2013 at 12:51.