PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 12:47
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, thus far we have...

The NTSB stating that the speed was 'significantly' below the assigned fly speed

The NTSB stating that a go around was only executed 1.5 secs before impact

The Cabin Manager stating there were three pilots in the flightdeck at the time of the accident

NOTAMs from KSFO indicating the ILS was U/S however PAPIs were serviceable for RW28L

The weather was CAVOK and the winds were light. It was daylight.

Asiana stating there was no mechanical issue with the aircraft

Asiana stating that the LTC was conducting his first flight as an LTC, he had 3000hrs on the 777 and had landed in KFSO 33 times in this aircraft. The Captain was under training and had 43 hours on the 777. He had landed in KFSO 29 times in another type. Between then they had in excess of 10000 hours

There has been other suggestions of poor training, over reliance in automation, inexperience on type, mode confusion, tiredness, being kept high on profile by ATC. Those and what I will state below may be contributing factors?

I find it unsurprising that people are speculating that this was a cocked up visual procedure which developed into an accident due to poor airmanship. Those within the industry are well versed in the 'issues' that have emulated from flightdecks with steep authority gradients. South Korean operators have came under specific scrutiny in the past. There are numerous accidents to testify to this. This is factual.

Now there's ways of bringing this to the fore. Other methods will have you labelled as a racist, as it appears. However I for one will be completely unsurprised if the NTSB's findings suggest the same.

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 9th Jul 2013 at 12:57.