PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for a future pilot
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 12:03
Amit Wings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for a future pilot

Hello to all!

This is the first time I'm posting in here and I think it's a great forum. I would like some advice and I know this is the right place to get it.

I plan to study an aviation degree with a pilot stream next year at Griffith University. As for probably all pilots it has always been a dream of mine to become a pilot since I was 7 years old. I'm 32 now and this hasn't gone away. I couldn't afford the fees that's why I didn't do it. But now being an Australian Citizen I can get access to HECS and FEE-HELP from the government. I did study before at Griffith as an international student. I completed a Diploma, Bachelor and Master Degree mostly in Business.

Being a pilot has been a dream as I mentioned earlier but I don't want to be blinded by it. I've done a lot of research and I found that finding a job as a pilot is very hard. Pilots in the US and Europe are really struggling. This is the link of an American article written in May this year with many pilots commenting Pilot Career Is Losing Its Appeal, Shows Survey | Aviation International News . It is quite scary. I also read that there is actually no such thing as a pilot shortage, at least not since the 1960s.

Griffith has a partnership with Cathay Pacific. Basically after 1 year at Griffith students can apply for a Cathay Cadetship which is very hard to get but it's still a hope.

I am really worried that after finishing the 4 years of study and having so much debt I won't find a job. What advice can you guys give me? I'm really really lost. Follow my dream or not. My elder brother who is nearly finishing his pilot course in England told me to go for it but I don't want to just jump in a black hole.

I really appreciate for any of your inputs.

Thanks,

Amit.