PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 11:10
sb3ugs1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading with fascination / Starting flying in 30's

Good afternoon all,

Ive just been reading this thread (for the past 30/60mins) and was left excited and daunted at the prospect of changing my career and becoming a pilot...

Im 36, a teacher (a-levels) and have '£20k for training' - one of my biggest concerns has been age and the chances of getting a job. The general consensus is its not too late, but its going to be difficult. Am I right in this?

I am taking my Class 1 Medical first (at least Ill have peace of mind / or will save myself 000's if there is a problem identified now).

I have already decided that I will train at local schools in a modular method whilst continuing working - this with my savings should prevent any large debts occurring - I am also fortunate that my wife has a very good salary who can cover our cost of living. Would you agree this is the best way forward?

Its funny that the people I have spoken to (at flying schools) are all very 'optimistic' about job prospects whereas there is far more caution on here (maybe the salesmen coming out of the schools?). My dream is to fly and if I can get paid for it this is a huge bonus... can anyone provide advice as to the types of employment opportunities there are if getting a position with a airline isn't probable. Obviously instructors and banner ads type, but are there any others? Are there any job sites for pilots? Also how difficult would it be to set up a business ding leisure/tourism type flights? (just as another avenue of gaining employment).

Finally, as I mentioned earlier, im looking at doing the training at local schools - probably at Teesside or Newcastle airports, does anyone have any experience with these airports or any schools in this area?

Any comments, suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. Stuart.