PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 08:50
Homebrew1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All these people sproking automation as the saving grace, just remember there is only so much a computer can do!

If everything was automated, what would happen to aircraft still in the air around KSFO after this crash?

Do you close an airport on CAVOK day because you don't have ILS?

How do automated systems handle flameouts/engine failures/FOD blown tires ETC....

Fair enough SOMETIMES pilots make mistakes, but I don't think we are any safer relying in automation.

It all comes down to AVIATE, NAVIAGATE, COMMUNICATE.

While this accident appears to be a result of human error, lets also remember the crews of US1549 and QF32 in which ALL PASSENGERS were saved as the result of crews doing what they are trained to do!
Absolutely agree and to add (rant) further....

I'm a firm believer in keeping up the hand flying skills. I don't want to end up like the Air France A330 or the 737 trying to realign it's IRS and ending up in the ocean.

Over automation is dumbing us down and at the end of the day all of us could end up hand flying on a ****ty night due a technical let alone flying a basic visual approach on CAVOK day! Automation is helpful agreed but not at the expense of maintaining basic flying skills.

The day aeroplanes become pilotless is the day I take the boat. Most modern jets can't even maintain a vertical path in descent without pilot intervention in dynamic atmospheric conditions (intermittent over and under speeds typical on 737 and A320). Do you think a computer will do better? What about slowing up during turbulence? Can the computer see a turbulent looking cloud ahead and put the seat belt sign on and as a precaution slow up instead of plowing into it at M.80?

This accident has in no way made pilotless air transport any closer! Thats just rubbish.

Last edited by Homebrew1; 9th Jul 2013 at 08:53. Reason: addition of info