PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lighting the blue touchpaper of gliding
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 06:04
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone asking about the ratio of glider/GA midairs? I offer that we are all GA and should be working together regarding increased conspicuity regardless of our GA sub-set. Personally, I find it more difficult spotting a plastic fantastic SEP following a constant path than a glider which is invariably turning.

Radios - I think we should encourage better airmanship across GA. Some people blindly talk to ATC whenever they can, regardless of the need - this is irrelevant and can undermine the effectiveness of ATC. Others take great delight in exercising their 'rights' in not talking to ATC. Personally, I think there is some middle ground which can only be explored by instilling better airmanship.

TCAS/ADS-B/Mode S/FLARM etc. If I had a bucket full of cash I would put some form of traffic awareness system in every GA aircraft which operates in Class G airspace. I have been watching FLARM for some time now and this one seems to be taking the lead, especially Power FLARM. Of course, some may choose to take the chance and continue to make themselves inconspicuous, because it is their 'right'. For sure, they are entitled to exercise their rights but I would be mighty annoyed if I bumped into someone who had consciously made an effort not to improve their conspicuity.