PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 9th Jul 2013, 00:53
ricfly744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all of you saying it is very basic to keep the speed, I agree. Now I ask those who did the STAR conversion from the B744 to the B777, like I recently did.
Do you think you had enough visual app and overall training in the SIM?
The colleague in the controls most likely did the STAR, and for those who do not know, it is very condensed and rushed. I only did 6 visual circuits. And it is different to turn base at 45'' and to fly a long visual final. That was not trained.
Industry is also to blame as very limited and condensed training is the norm.
B744 and T7 are very different to hand fly and takes some time to feel comfortable with the fly by wire, trimming (almost none in the T7), siting position, cockpit hight, and most important, the use of Autothrotle all the way to touchdown on the T7. This alone feels very strange in the beginning.

Someone mentioned a few pages back that Lufthansa pilots would not make similar mistakes. The Riyadh 2010 LH MD11F crash would likely have resulted in fatalities if PAX had been on board. We pilots, "even the best" can make mistakes.

Now who said a proper rest on a long training flight is evenly divided with relief pilots? have you had this experience? I had, and I say not most of the time, as there is a lot to cover and talk about, not always proper rest is taken. The pilot in question, coming from the B744, was likely having his first ETOPS training flight and had to be in seat to see and discuss all there is to it. In my recent training flights, I barely had time to eat and visit the toilet, as a lot had to be ticked from an expense list of topics. You get really exhausted.

Last edited by ricfly744; 9th Jul 2013 at 02:18.