PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chances of low-time US citizen getting instructor/GA work?
Old 9th Jul 2013, 00:15
Foray Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chances of low-time US citizen getting instructor/GA work?

I'm a US PPL holder and will have an instrument and maybe commercial licenses by the end of the summer. I'm pretty set on working my way up to ATP and flying passenger jets around SE Asia in the long-term, but I know that's a fair sight away from where I am right now, experience-wise.

If I were to migrate to Australia and do the necessary license conversions, is it likely I'd be able to find work as an instructor? I have taught technical topics in SE Asia for a few years so I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy it; hopefully that experience plus my university degree would make me an appealing applicant.

If, hypothetically, I could get the immigration front sorted on my own and not burden potential employers with providing me a 457 visa, is it likely that as a foreigner with 250-300 hours, a university degree in an unrelated field, and prior teaching experience, I could get a job as an instructor?

Would that only realistically be a possibility if I do my CPL and flight instructor training at the same school where I'm trying to get hired on?

Is the path from piston single instructor to multi-engine turbine commercial pilot a well-trod one in Australia, or should I be looking at a different route altogether?