PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 22:41
Homebrew1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
777yank Just a few observations from a commercial pilot with many hours in the 777 and 737:

-There are similarities with the Lion Air crash and the SFO disaster. I think both accidents could have avoided with proper use of the VNAV (they are virtually identical on the 777 and 737).

-I've seen 777 and 737 crews screw up non-precision approaches because they never practice them. Remember the Guam accident? Have we learned nothing?

-VNAV (even on a base turn to a visual approach) is a great tool for a constant rate descent.

-At my airline, you are required to use all navigation aids, even in VFR conditions. Why would not you use VNAV as an aid for a stabilized approach?
Unfortunately the way I see it, VNAV is one of the key drivers in the reduction in basic 'hand flying' skills. It's too easy and comfortable and you don't need to use your brain.....much.

Without jumping to conclusions, maybe this wouldn't have happened if he had flown a few more visual approaches and was comfortable hand flying the aircraft (I acknowledge VNAV has it's place but not at the expense of basic hand flying skills).