PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 21:10
ZBBYLW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Asiana relief crews sit in the flight deck or sit back in First Class on landing. I heard it may be the later... May want to change that policy, it seems there were already 2 passengers sitting in 0A and 0B maybe having someone in the flight deck with a touch more assertiveness may be a wise move.

Would the FAA ever consider having an approved pilot list. Frankly if the FO at certain companies or from different cultures don't want to be an assertive PNF perhaps having specially trained pilots who have to demonstrate to an FAA checker CRM skills, the ability to fly a visual approach with no magic and instrument approaches down to CAT I mins without AP or A/THR from say 10,000 feet? Perhaps only letting pilots with these types of certifications into US airspace would be a good start. It should not be a requirement but frankly it is looking like the private sector is letting the ball drop.

It would not be like insurance companies of years back allowing only western pilots fly, but instead allowing only those pilots who are successful in an "aircraft handling" course fly into the USA. You could have ops spec for international airlines who don't need to meet this extra standard (LH, BA, AC, CX etc..) based on a very good pass rate early in the program with regular audits showing that during LOFTs etc these companies are still maintaining proficient at flying.

Just a thought, I fly for an airline that encourages AP and A/THR off "when appropriate" in fact it's in our Ops Manual stating that it is encouraged. In my case the Airbus flies wonderfully with the magic off and with a bit of practice I find you can fly more accurately or smoother than the AP in certain situations by thinking ahead of the plane and anticipating various things. To read what has allegedly happened on board the Asiana flight deck makes me wonder if these guys took the joke "Computer Monitor" too seriously and forgot that they get paid the big bucks to be pilots.