PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 13:45
DavidHoul52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regard to all the comments about people being posting racially offensive comments, aviation is not a place for semantics or political correctness. The only thing that should be considered is the truth.
It is absolute fact that social hierarchy and a steep authority gradient played a part in several major accidents in Asia and the middle east. This is NOT to say these accidents are exclusive to these places and do not happen in the west, but for the most part this lesson has already been hard learned here, and use of CRM gives FO's the conviction to challenge the thankfully rare overbearing captain.
Sorry but I don't buy this. The only reason people started talking about "cultural" issues was that it was an Asian airline with (presumably) Asian crew. There is absolutely NO evidence at this stage that so called "cultural" factors played any kind of role at all. So why mention it? I tell you why - it's because certain people haven't yet understood that it is puerile, stupid and offensive to categorise people according to stereotypes. Recent accidents due in part to cabin seniority issues have not taken place notably with Asian crews - Polish, Russian spring to mind - there are others.

"Political correctness" is a politically loaded word, and is in fact archaic. It just means being careful to show respect to others who are different to ourselves - something most of us started learning when we were two years old. I'm not saying that cultural factors are NEVER relevant, or that accident investigators don't take them into account. But you don't "celebrate cultural diversity" by using it as stick to hit those you don't like, still less haul it out as a possible cause of an accident. Aviation is not a place for prejudiced viewpoints.

If you don't think your comments are offensive why not ask a Korean?

Last edited by DavidHoul52; 8th Jul 2013 at 13:47.