PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:21
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitpicker,

I thought the same about the famous SFO "slam dunk" and agree totally with your comments about the other pilots on the flightdeck. Watching the video of the crash, a few observations;

1. Imagine if the flight had been "paired" with another aircraft landing on 28R (as SFO like to arrange). That would have got "exciting" as he could have flown into Asiana's debris field.

2. The designers of the 777 need to take a bow. The aircraft took two massive thumps and it is amazing that all but two survived.

3. Not absolving the pilots' responsibilty to monitor speed and I don't want to get into speculation, but I wonder if the speedbrakes inadvertently remained extended during the approach.

4. Not absolving the other pilots of responsibility, but had there been an electronic glideslope available, I somehow doubt this would have happened. It is a lot easier to speak up from the back with a call "one dot low, not correcting", than "err..you look a bit low to me". Not sure if PAPIs were available, as they would have helped.

Finally, the talking heads on 'uhmerican TV are expressing concern that pilots are trained on flights with passengers. Oh dear, are they in for a shock when they learn that for most us when we land a new aircraft type for the first time, a few hundred unsuspecting people are sitting behind "enjoying the ride"

Last edited by Liam Gallagher; 8th Jul 2013 at 12:28.