PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEATHROW
Thread: HEATHROW
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:21
FRatSTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the biggest concern is aborted landings but I'd think that aborted landings would easily get 1000ft above departures from the runway in front and not only that, they would probably turn away before they reach the threshold of the new runway anyway.

I can't see why though they can't just build two more runways to the north of the airport just south of the M4 motorway parallel to the existing runways. Much of that land is flat fields anyway, perfect for runway construction and there would be less of a need to divert major roads under tunnels.

Whilst it would be awful for the people of Harmondsworth, Sipson and Harlington to lose their homes, it's not like they didn't know what they were getting into.

Look at places like Dubai. If they want new infrastructure, whether it be airports, runways, 7 star hotels, 2,000ft high skyscrapers or new land out at sea in the shape of a palm, they just get on and build it!!! In Britain, we just debate it for years or end up just doing the typical British "do nothing" policy, all because some people in West London are worried about more noise.

To be fair, if you don't like noise, pollution and congestion, you shouldn't be living near Heathrow, or in London at all for that matter!

I've stayed in West London loads in areas like Acton and been through areas like Brentford and rarely do you even know that there's an airport there in terms of noise and pollution, so it must only be areas very close, literally a mile or 2 who are so severely affected.

Also, people need to understand that adding more runways would potentially reduce noise and pollution as aircraft won't be waiting at holding points for departure and stuck in holding patterns over London! It's not necessarily about doubling the size of Heathrow, it's about increasing the capacity to reduce delays, pollution, congestion, noise etc.

This solution is the wisest way to add capacity since the branding, competitive, financial, economic aspect of expanding Heathrow is far better than expanding elsewhere and as awful as it may sound, this shouldn't even be comparable to or prevented by the people of West London being frightened they could get more noise or congestion!

Last edited by FRatSTN; 8th Jul 2013 at 12:24.