PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:21
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There appears to be a worrying trend here. Taking the Turkish AMS accident and this one (while not, of course, prejudging the NTSB findings) it would seem that the performance of trainers is falling, both in attention and actions that are required.

It is my view that the industry needs to re-look at selection for the post, and whereas it has for some time been seen as a 'career move' by many, it really needs to be seen as a 'what and how can I teach' move . I have in my time seen a too relaxed and over-casual approach from some trainers, giving the impression that they are where they are and that is it and most of it is box-ticking. I think the best example for me was the BA trainer who was 're-validating' me LHS after some time away, with a carefully selected sector LGW-BIO (yes, of all choices....) with thunderstorms and variable winds who was blissfully unaware that there was an airfield brief for Captains for BIO which had to be read and watched before operating there. Interesting scenario - TC not legally able to be PIC on that detail.

So, folks, do we, and how do we change the criteria for TCs? Is there indeed a problem in the role?

EDIT: to add, there was, in fact, a major error in BA's BIO brief in those days (the video circled the wrong way!) so, tongue in cheek, was it in fact better he hadn't seen the briefing................?

EDIT 2: Thanks to 'macrihanish', ICAO code corrected. Why did I think it was 'BLV'?....................

Last edited by BOAC; 8th Jul 2013 at 14:02.