PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone flown the Wessex?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 19:02
[email protected]

Received 635 Likes on 277 Posts
Decca - now that brings back memories, I know someone who thought it would be a good idea to offset his decca approach one lane to the left to compensate for the crosswind!!!!!
As for nightsun I did the self drive variety where the crewman was the only one on goggles and had to try and position the light (switched off) pointing at the desired field during your pre recced IP to target run. When he was sure he had the field identified you called "illuminate, illuminate" and the beam was supposed to appear right on target so you could fly your approach into the field. A great idea but I was trying to get into a field 500m E of Middletown with a stonking easterly wind blowing - as we whistled downwind towards the border, the crewman was obviously having difficulty identifying the field but eventually he thought he'd got it so I called for the light. I was expecting to see the beam lancing into the 2 o'clock but it actually appeared in the 4 to half four!! Not fancying a bolloc*ing from the boss for a border incursion I employed the well known split-a*sed turn into wind to discover it was snowing and the crewman had completely lost the field. We went home and said the wx was too bad - I think the troops we were supposed to insert were rather pleased!