PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 12:12
A Squared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TacheyonID
With some of the cockpit CVR data available it raises the issue of how they got into a slam dunk-- it sounds like they got put into a short final? Is all the ATC audio available from their turn onto Base, all the way in? .
Nope, not a short final. See above. Runway alignment at 14 NM and 4300 ft.

Originally Posted by Nitpicker 330
Ok, that data came out after I commented and please forgive me but SFO is notorious for slam dunk approaches and in my outfit 747's and 777's have indeed been forced to go-around more than a few times.
Fair enough, but to pick a nit myself the data was posted before your post. and ther had been previous posts about the flight track plot in Flight Aware showing a 13+ mile final. Ive never flown into SFO myself, but apparently they have a practice of putting you in a slam dunk, you aren't the only one to comment on this. But that seems to lead everyone to assume that ATC turned them on a short high final, which is clearly not the case. Now what happened after they were turned on final regarding altitude restrictions is to be determined, but certainty their turn onto final was neither short nor high