PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Children of Magenta / Rage against the Machine
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:55
Tee Emm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See Post 115 the beautiful picture of the integrated PFD. That is most impressive with all that info packed into one TV screen.

Yet, I must say looking at the picture, have you ever wondered why the "little aeroplane" symbol with its wings drooping in anhedral is so tiny, when it is the most important symbol of the lot.

I prefer a whacking big "little aeroplane" symbol that stands out like dogs balls and looks like a real model aeroplane viewed from the back.

Remember the old Sperry Artificial Horizons that showed the little aeroplane as a big little aeroplane which certainly concentrated your scan when flying on instruments. You couldn't miss it even in poor lighting conditions.

Maybe a Ppruner could cut and paste a photo of a typical DC3/ DC4 AH or the huge AH symbol in some of the early fighters like the F86 Sabre.

Again, I have often wondered if recovering from an unusual attitude on instruments is much easier when using a realistic large aeroplane symbol rather than a small flattish triangle shaped symbol designed primarily to accommodate a flight director symbol like the V-Bars.

Look at the latest EFIS displays in Cessna 172 training aircraft. All that peripheral information and an itsy bitsy artificial horizon in the middle of that lot and so small that a student could be forgiven for not appreciating the vital purpose of that symbol which is to keep the blue side up.

Last edited by Tee Emm; 8th Jul 2013 at 12:04.