PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:46
llondel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd probably take with me what I had around the seat, given that it's likely to be small, but I certainly wouldn't mess around trying to get something from the overhead bin, and would be likely to be fairly rough with anyone blocking the aisle while trying to do that. I guess this is partly because I do read sites like this one and I'm an engineer by training and so am fully aware of the time-critical nature of evacuation. If someone's got a bag and is moving with the flow then let them keep it, if they're slowing things down then they should be discouraged, quickly and, if necessary, forcefully in order that everyone else can evacuate. Those who wish to take their baggage from the overhead should wait until last, and not expect the cabin crew to wait for them.

On the subject of culture, yes there are places where pointing out to a superior that he's made a mistake can be a career-limiting move and yes, it has happened. It's not just places like Korea, countries where a lot of military pilots retire and end up either directly or very quickly into the left hand seat for the national carrier can have a similar issue where the FO in the other seat is reluctant to speak up. The whole point of CRM is to encourage awareness of this problem so that captains accept input from the other side of the cockpit and so that the FO is not fearful of raising an issue. The Tenerife incident has been covered, another one is UA173 which kickstarted the United CRM programme.