PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 11:32
Ollie Onion

Received 219 Likes on 75 Posts
I don't care who is upfront of my airliner, as a bare minimum I would expect them to be competent enough to not 'stall' the bloody thing on final approach just because a navigation aid that is not even required in the weather is not functioning.

Yes there will be mitigating factors such as the 'training' taking place, but the fact that there were FOUR pilots on the flightdeck and NOT ONE of then seemed to notice the speed deteriorate to 30 - 50 kts below approach speed (according to ADSB data) is quite frankly gross negligence.

Yes we are all prone to making mistakes, this though should not preclude us as a supposedly professional group from trying to keep our standards high.

Recent events have had:

An jet airliner lost due to the loss of some speed data and a crew applying the incorrect stall recovery technique (Air France)

A turbo-prop regional airliner lost due to the crew mishandling the icing system which gave a false stall warning and resulted in the crew apllying the incorrect stall recovery technique (Coglan)

A jet airliner lost after a 'minor' radalt fault on approach to land and all THREE pilots failing to recognize the deteriorating speed profile until the onset of the stick shaker at which point the thrust levers were advanced and then allowed to automatically close back to idle, all the crew had to do was hold them up!! (Turkish)

A jet airliner lost on approach to land as the crew set up for a NPA and when at minima with NO visual reference elected to disconnect the automatics and continue in the 'hope' that the would arrive at the runway, what it resulted in was a perfect touchdown on the water.

And now finally we 'seem' to have a jet airliner lost on landing due to all four crew failing to notice or act on a deteriorating speed state until it was way way too late.

What scares me about all this is that these are apparently 'professional' crews from ALL different cultures and backgrounds who seem incapable of keeping a perfectly airworthy aircraft in the air when faced with what amount to very very minor defects or unservicabilities. It is a disgrace and a blight on the whole profession that our 'stick and rudder' skills have been so adversely affected by the accountants and safety departments in the name of safety (which is ironic)

What is more stunning is that in the Turkish / Lionair / Asiana incidents is has been just blind luck that people survived these crashes, it could have so easily been a total loss of life in all of these accidents, thank god it was not.

Rant Over.

Last edited by Ollie Onion; 8th Jul 2013 at 11:36.