PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 09:01
Oakape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I have seen it manifested on the line a number of times & recent accident history points to it, I am still amazed by some of what I am reading here.

Airspeed is a primary flight instrument. Those who don't monitor it when the autothrottle is engaged are only half flying the aircraft, having given control of a critical aspect of flight to the whim of the automatic flight control system. A system that has become so complex on jet transport aircraft that few understand it completely, regardless of type. Those who think this is acceptable are either inadequately trained or lazy, or both.

Machines are not infallible. They sometimes behave in unexpected ways or fail, either partially or completely. Personally I keep my hand on the thrust levers until the flaps are up after take-off & on approach from the first flap selection, regardless of whether or not the autopilot and/or the autothrottle is engaged. I also have my hand on the thrust levers when I anticipate a major thrust change in flight e.g. enroute level change or top of descent. If the thrust levers don't move to where I expect them to be, I put them there. If the autothrottle fights me, I disengage it until I have time to sort the issue out.

Jet transport aviation is a complex & serious business. Too many do not treat it with the seriousness that it demands.

Last edited by Oakape; 8th Jul 2013 at 09:06.