PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Preferred Helicopter for Aerial Photography
Old 8th Jul 2013, 07:23
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
The OP was referring only to aerial photography, which lends a lot more leeway than cinematography so the opinions on flat floors aren't so relevant in my opinion.

As already mooted the choice of machine is less important than the capabilities of the driver as a camera pilot: you can either 'see' the shot and position accordingly or you can't. I've done photography from a huge range of machines from Sea King to R44 and they all had their merits according to the job being done.

These days I'm happy enough to use an R44 for the easier stuff, but will prefer a Squirrel for night ops or where a few people (assistant, client advisor) need to be carried. Sliding doors in a Squirrel lends a degree of flexibility allowing a choice of left or right side according to the wind, my old BK117 was suitable for the same reason plus able to get approvals for OEI ops low over built up areas for spec shots.

Lots of choices, impossible to recommend any one as it all depends upon the job and the parameters required to achieve the shot.