PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 05:37
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
"FLCH is a major threats..."

???

pardon me, but having just spent considerable time listening to otherwise competent individuals state that while V/S is an approved mode, "we don't use it...", now FLCH is dangerous, and of course, the ever present risk of VNAV... excuse me if I just cough up a bit of lung here.

AT? Helps pilots.... if the pilot is not aware of what it is doing, then you end up with issues.... (its an SA thingy...) Remember a DC10 off piste in NY? THY @ AMS etc? point is, only one item is being paid to be the pilot, that is the pilot.. not the AT.

VS mode? no protections? If there is no pilot around, possibly true (its an SA thingy...)

FLCH mode? limited protections? If there is no pilot around, possibly true (its an SA thingy...)

VNAV mode? GIGO? If there is no pilot around, possibly true (its an SA thingy...)

How about we just close the doors and all go home until the system decides that working with SA limitations of pilots, and hardening their behaviours to SA errors, and giving them the skills that they needed when they flew Piper Cubs, has some merits. (its an SA thingy...)

FWIW, the PAPI, rwy aspect & perspective all become pretty darn moot when you have to view them through the kelp bed through the upper part of the windows. It's an SA thingy, or actually something to do with internal reflection angles/partial reflection as a Quantum ElectroDynamics thingy (QED).

What will be interesting is how much of the back story of the training provided by the 3rd party gets to be aired, the ruination of the career of people trying to maintain the service providors standards, and these gallant individuals being sacrificed in no small number to aquiesce to the recidivism of the customers self indulgent training and standards program. Commercial reality at its best. Truth is a complete defence... FYI

Lions: 1, Gladiators: 0.