PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 03:08
squall1984

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35 isnt exactly old lol, he still has 25 years left in a career and I would be shocked if he would spend 25 years at RyanAir, so realistically what would their reasons be for not hiring him? With age more often than not comes maturity (sometimes not all the time) and other life experiences. Saying 35 is old is like when you're a 10 year old and you think your parents are old. In the states you would be lucky to be in a 737 by 35...granted our retirement age is 65 but still.

I think anyone that is older and trying to get into the industry should consider their situation, its fine for people to follow their dreams etc etc etc but that doesnt put food on the table for your family and spending a large sum of money on a second career takes away a lot of funds that your family could use. If you still want to go for it, then do it as cheaply as possible whilst still working pref at your original job, that way if it works out that you make it in aviation then great if not you still have your work. Time is obv very important factor, my experience with students is you learn faster and progress quicker the more often you fly, and that doesnt mean flying 8 hours a day either but more over a period of time, find balance between training and your responsibilities at home.