PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2013, 01:45
DWS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE HITTING WATER WITH TAIL PER VIDEO

I am not a pilot- and do not play one on TV. But I am a retired BA engineer who worked on 777 until shortly after first flight

Looking at the cnn video - and living in seattle area, the white cloud just before the hit looks more like a hydroplane roostertail of the good ole days. (** addition - IF the 777 had a tail skid that dropped with the gear, it would make a great roostertail ** )
IMHO that would explain the nose high- landing gear hitting on ground just after tail hits water, and the section aft of the pressure bulkhead being torn off by the seawall/rocks- along with some reports of debris in the water.

One photo of the landing gear shows the main landing gear beam still attached- further supporting gear slightly higher than seawall at time of impact of tail section.

I note that the break of the upper fuselage aft section on top does not appear to be at the normal production join of the aft pressure bulkhead, ((** correction most of the break of the tail cone/rudder DID occur at the production joint- and the junction of the rudder/vertical stabilizer and the fuselage may account for the tear **) to fuselage but a tear extending a few feet forward of the join between fuselage and the bulkead. The vertical split in the " middle " of the bulkhead ***may** indicate some significant sideways impact with the plane crabbing to the left.

All told, the impact loads well above ' hard landings" with most " all ?? " of the floor intact is but one indication of the amazing structural integrity of the 777 floor.

I'm sure there will be many lessons learned as to failure modes of structure.

Last edited by DWS; 8th Jul 2013 at 03:27. Reason: minor correction on bulkhead issue