PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Safety equipment and outbriefs
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 21:45
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Think long and hard...

My tuppence worth as military aircrew of 11 yrs experience and a survival instructor of 7 yrs experience...

Having deployed to Iraq in 50 degrees I always wore full thermal underwear and fire retardant clothing and gloves, no exceptions. Dehydration can be managed, being trapped in a burning aircraft can't without Nomex. I have 3 friends who have all had horrific burns and lost parts of their bodies as result. You will never regret wearing it.

I cannot fathom why anyone would want to risk it when it can be mitigated against so easily and cheaply. Civilian leisure flying carries the same risk of fire and I suppose a greater chance of crashing due (generally) to less hours and experience. Military crashes tend to be more catastrophic and to be honest a Nomex suit wont help when you fly into a hillside at 420 kts!

Do yourself a favour, wear 2 layers. The under layer made of cotton and the outer layer nomex. eBay is your friend, rather than spending money on flying hour, buy some Nomex clothing.

I am not for a minute saying this is the only answer and others are wrong, it is merely my opinion. You are all adults capable of making your own decisions

Last edited by heights good; 7th Jul 2013 at 21:46.