PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 13:51
NWSRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some comments from an amateur

1. Yes, any professional pilot should be able to fly a visual approach. But that's what PAPIs are there to assist. Without them, the pilot loses one of the basic aids to a visual approach.
2. The 777 airframe did a fantastic job in protecting the occupants in a high energy impact.
3. Was the high ROD approach a factor? If so, are ATC regularly expecting pilots to perform non-standard approaches (think Turkish at AMS). Just because a pilot should be capable of flying these approaches, doesn't mean they should become normal operations.
4. If the passengers felt that the aircraft had come to rest, and all seemed ok (apparently backed up by a normal arrival announcement), then I think I too might think it ok to carry off my hand luggage. It is possible that those at the front of the aircraft (and still in shock anyway) did not realise the severity of what was happening. This is going to be a useful case study in passenger behaviour following a major incident.
5. I'd be happy to fly on a 777 tomorrow...I'd be more reserved about flying with a Korean based operator.