PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 12:46
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Be careful what you are promoting, Uplinker. It is comments like this that have new f/os playing with the FMC at 200' on final approach (visual or otherwise).

This was a visual approach. The big picture is outside, and not in the cockpit. At most you need a quick glance at the airspeed every 10 seconds or so, that's all. The NFP should be making a call out of 'on profile' or not. And we all trust the NFP, don't we?

Remember power and attitude? A stable aircraft on profile will remain, well, stable and on profile. And if you cannot feel an engine rollback or a windshear change through the seat of your pants, well perhaps you are one of those who should have gone into the bicycle courier business.

Er, hang on a minute, silver. I was replying to someone who said they didn't keep the airspeed in their scan. Don't you think that's important? I certainly do !

Power and attitude flying is valid, but are you really telling me that you set a fixed power from memory and then leave it and only look out of the window? Of course you don't. How do you know if the A/C is stable if you're not looking at the instrumentation??? And what about following ground speed mini?

A visual approach still needs you to look at the instruments. It does not imply that anyone should be programming the FMGEC at 200'

Last edited by Uplinker; 7th Jul 2013 at 13:03.