PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - logging PIC times on an AOC listed helicopter?
Old 7th Jul 2013, 11:59
Reely340

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
logging PIC times on an AOC listed helicopter?

A company operates an EC120B, for commercial passenger transport. Therefore it is an "AOC" that has a register of "ready for service" aircraft, I'd guess.

Currently I'm paying a relatively tiny unofficial fee to be allowed to sit in the copilot's seat, all unofficially. I help with loading and unloading of passengers and their cargo and am a very happy camper, mostly watching the pro CPL show his proficiency, among other things covering up forgetting to release the rotor brake Needless to say I don't log anything.

Here comes the question:

Should I someday have acquired a TR for EC120B may I operate as PIC and log PIC time when a company registered CPL is with me, who "doesn't need any more hours logged"?

That way I could accumulate PIC hours at minimal cost, albeit when and how this happens is out of my control, naturally.

The AC logbook would have "him/me" as pilot, and only I would log PIC time.
This would be okay with the AC insurance company as a mulit hour CPL enlisted in the AOC would oversee the whole flight.

Rumor has it, letting a PPL operate an AOC aircraft requires the company to do a "ready for service" check thereafter, every time, kinda cleaning the PPL residues off the commercial machine.
Put more bluntly one guy told me "a PPL never can log PIC time on an AOC listed AC, w/o the AOC having to do a documented ready-of-service check after such flight, regardless of a security CPL presents"

So, guys,
a) can a PPL piggy back commercial passenger flights to log PIC time
if the accompanying CPL is ok with that?

b) can a PPL log PIC time on commerical passenger flights for parts of a flight where passengers are not yet/no more present?

Sorry for my wording, having been awarded LPE-level6 not necessarily means being fluent in juridical terminology.

Last edited by Reely340; 7th Jul 2013 at 11:59.