PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana flight crash at San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 09:38
AN2 Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsc810
Passenger with any sense will indeed take their hand/carry on bags if this is at all possible in the circumstances. ......

Yup, I'd take my stuff as well

First of all, I DO understand this statements on the point of view of passengers usually not involed in aviation. They usually take their "precious" items in carry on because they are exactly scared of loosing them in checked bags. Or in an accident like this. Neither does a policy of LCC's charging for checked in baggage help this situation!

Secondly, it is not unknown that people do react totally unreasonable in such extreme situations. People tend to set their priorities totally wrong and that is why we do get unnecessary victims at accidents, fires and other incidents. We won't be much able to change that. Cabin crews only have a limited amount of power over this as well. In an evac, they will tell anyone to leave their stuff and enforce it where possible, yet, if someone with a bag turns up at the slide, what can you do? Stop the flow and wrestle the bag of the guy or just throw him out with it?

Here, the media COULD help after an accident like that. Instead of babbling wild theories, they could show the problems and make it clear that anyone who does that WILL endanger the rest of the passengers. They might even point out in this instance that baggage in the hold has a better chance of "survival" than in the cabin (from these pics here...). Yes, sometimes you need unreasonable arguments in order to bring across the essential.

My practice since long has been to have my papers, passport, cards e.t.c on my person, in a pocket from where they can't fall in a hurry. I usually carry my phone in the same pocket. I also have a very flat strap bag which holds tablet, tickets and so on next to me and which I can carry under my jacket (which I am usually wearing for take off and landing). This way, the problem with papers and immediate stuff won't arise. And I would not be tempted to dig in the overhead bin either.

We here who are aviation folks should simply not forget that passengers usually are not the likes of us who KNOW the risks and problems. They will try to safeguard their possessions and it is against their instincts not to do so, particularly if they can't see any direct danger and are shell shocked.