PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni flying/Simulator flying
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2003, 15:01
pilotpj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uni flying/Simulator flying

Hi,

This post has 2 points and I'm not sure if it's in the correct forum but here goes anyway...

I am a member of a university flying club believed to be the only one of its kind in the UK. We fly light aircraft (PA-28, C152) and have about 30 members of which approximatley 4 or 5 fly regularly - the rest have a keen interest in flying with the prospect of learning if they decide they want to. We organise flying related visits and have workgroups to share knowledge on PPL flying and of course, being a university club, a very good social schedule! I was wondering if our preconception of being 'one of a kind' was correct and I'm interested to see if there are any other clubs like this at any other uni in the country. We are completely separate from the UAS. I am also keen to promote ourselves so spread the word!

My second query is about simulator flying. As most of our flying members are studying Aeronautical Engineering and are possibly one day going to brave it in the world of professional pilots, as that seems to be the concensus of us PPL's - make it on the big stuff I was interested to see if we could get any sponsored sim time to give us a taster of what it's like flying big jet aircraft - something a bit different to SEP. If anyone knows how we could go about this, I'd be very grateful, as would my fellow club members.

Any information on either of these queries would be very much appreciated.

Safe flying...

PJ