View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 04:26
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PaperTiger, Post #264

Re,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ2
I would be very cautious about anything Flightaware and AVHerald have to offer at this point.

One might say the same about PPRuNe, no?

Those two sources seem to be doing a better job than many of the "official" sites and ALL of the media.
If I may, there is a definite veridicality between various data sources. PPRuNe makes no pretentions to be other than advertised. There is no "data" here. Flightaware provides "data" but does not indicate for the user anywhere what the data is based upon, and neither does AvHerald. I've seen time errors in Flightaware and wrong reporting in AvHerald. Doesn't mean they're to be dismissed, but it does mean that they must be taken with a grain of salt.

I do flight data analysis and know that images and videos created from "data" have both the power to easily convince a credulous and information-seeking audience but can also be significantly in error and can draw parties to incorrect conclusions. Now in the end it doesn't really matter because the NTSB Report will eventually be written. But in the early hours of such events I think it is wise to greet all information as suspect because it is.

Those who fly the aircraft and who otherwise know this business first-hand generally speculate wisely but, as we see here, the thread is already more than a dozen pages of kapok, as is usual for industry events such as this. But that's okay too - it's "as advertised", but can't be taken as anything more than it is. Once in a while a gem shows up from someone who quietly knows his or her stuff but it takes an eye to avoid the general throng to capture the truth.

I happen to believe that this is nothing more than a visual approach gone wrong. I've done hundreds of them into SFO on various types, Quiet Bridge from the east, usually and it's a great amount of fun, generally but one must know more than just relying upon ILS. We'll see what the NTSB has to say.