PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Possible Breach of Regulations
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 04:01
davebusinessonline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline Possible Breach of Regulations

Hello, I was on a flight from Malaysia to the Philippines when I noticed a number of items that I thought were at best questionable as to if they violated CAAP or other regulations.

As far as I am aware, the aircraft is registered and licensed in [deleted until we have some independent confirmation of the incident]

The issues mainly focused on two key areas.

1) The air safety briefing card was damaged to the point that it could not be read. I assume this is not a breach as there were other briefing cards within reach. However, I made it part of this list as it related to safety and I wanted to ensure the airline was informed of the issue. I also found an exit row briefing card in my seat, which was not an exit row! Probably just lack of organization.

2) This one was very serious to me. The aircraft was an Airbus a320 with 4 over wing exists. The seats that made up the exit rows were normal seats which usually have the trays attached to the seat in front. The trays had been snapped off, not even screwed off as per their design which makes me think either a mechanic did not do the work, or if they did, they did not have a screwdriver. Either way, I see that as unacceptable and possibly a breach of CAAP regulations.
This caused an issue which was that where the trays were snapped off, sharp protruding metal fixtures poked out as well as some tray clasps (that they couldnt remove) leaving a blunt object at the same height that a passengers head would impact upon emergency landing.

I have never seen any aircraft use non exit row seats. While I understand that this would be legal if completed properly, it clearly was not completed properly and left passengers at risk.

Here are the CAAP regulations that I can find which I think may relate. Please can you tell me what other regulations you think they may have broken.

I have already contacted the CAAP who were very concerned. The airline were also informed and they completed a full investigation within 24 hours and now want to arrange a meeting with their senior management to talk about the flight and breaches. This is why I need to be able to quote the regulations that they potentially breach.

Below are the CAAP sanctions which seem to relate.

4 Failure to provide adequately for proper servicing, maintenence, repair and inspection of facilities and equiptment.

7 Failure to ensure that maintenence release is completed and signed.
(if work order was not completed correctly)

8 Failure to ensure that maintenence release is completed and signed.
(not sure why 8 is the same as 7)

9 Performance of maintenence by unauthorized persons.
(If the aircraft was fitted or stripped of trays by unauthorized maintenance personnel. (The CAAP dont know how to spell "maintenance"?))

10 Failure to perform or improper performance of maintenence.
(same as above)

11 Failure to revise aircraft data after repair.
(if the work order was not completed properly)

13 Operation of an un-airworthly aircraft.
b non-conformity which may have an adverse effect on safety of an operation.
(if it is in breach)

This is from Transport Canada, so I know it doesnt relate directly, but I assume the CAAP have something similar.
602.01 No person shall operate an aircraft in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger the life or property of any person.

Please ask any questions you like. I can not disclose the airline name or specifics about the flight or aircraft.

Thank you very much