PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where is your head?
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2013, 01:05
DSoup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is your head?

First time poster long time lurker.

I have a question about something I can't seem to find anywhere on the web. I'm a fairly low time Canadian PPL pilot (98 hours, licensed at 45) who's flown at 6 different airports and 9 different instructors over the last 7 years.

While trying to do a checkout at my latest location the instructor said everything was great except where I put my head during landing. Specifically, when landing the C172/C152 I need to put my head against the left window to "look down the side of the aircraft".

I have never heard of this, my old instructors have never heard of this, my friends have never heard of this and apparently the internet as far as I can see have never heard of this. I have always rounded out keeping my body straight and looking as far down the runway as I can and as I flare I do lose sight of the end of the runway but use my peripheral vision to asses descent rate and being centered on the runway.

He is saying that my landings are unsafe, despite flying 25 hours PIC in the last 12 months at my last location and having 3 different instructors there including a instructor/flight examiner sign off on me. I've never damaged an aircraft during landings doing it the way I've been taught and yet he won't sign off on me renting because until I can land it with my head against the window I'm "unsafe". Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Friends who are flight instructors have said to talk to the CFI (Chief flight instructor not certified flight instructor) since they've never heard of it, and I'd just like another opinion to make sure my friends aren't trying to cover my poor technique.

Thanks