Thread: News of NEO
View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2013, 18:09
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Nearly There

Hi Peeps,

Fingers and toes crossed, it looks as though I'm finally on the home straight; the PETCT scan showed the cancer has gone, however there was what my consultant termed an "artefact" in my chest cavity which means another scan to officially clear me as in remission.

An artefact is a common issue with these PETCT scans, it is basically a sort of shadow that appears when the 2D CT image is superimposed upon the 3D PET image. For example if you're breathing in when one image is taken and breathing out when the other one is shot, you'll have an artefact. Nobody seems concerned about it in the slightest, to the extent that my next appointment isn't until the end of August at which time the scan will be booked.

In the meantime I continue to gain weight and strength slowly but surely, no pain and only a small IBS type symptom to contend with. I have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life to stave off the Blind Loop Syndrome that caused the malnutrition but hey ho, people take pills every day for all sorts of things, if I have to take a couple it's a small price to pay for the gift of life.

So with the support of my friends and my employer I should be back in harness sooner rather than later, hopefully before the next consultant appointment.

At the risk of harping on (for which I make no apology), I feel an overwhelming debt of gratitude to those who have proven themselves to be TRUE friends, keeping in touch and visiting throughout this hellish period, some making outrageously long and arduous journeys to do so. This short list includes my ultimate boss who came to see me, crossing London and onwards up to my new home base in absolutely atrocious weather, turning up on the doorstep looking like a drowned cat with an umbrella that had been blown inside out ! You all know who you are, and I will never forget. Call me old fashioned, but I was brought up to believe that loyalty is a two way street and you have each earned mine for the rest of my life.

I have also had a few visitors more recently, some of whom have stayed and shot the s**t with me, a great morale booster.

Cheers to all and heartfelt thanks for the continuing messages of support. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but she getting a sore throat............

NEO